These black bean fritters are crispy and full of spicy flavor, making them a perfect for a vegetarian main dish! Drizzled with cilantro sauce, you’ll be coming back for seconds!
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup panko crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or another neutral high-heat oil
- 1/3 cup of cilantro sauce or salsa
- Add the onion to a food processor and pulse 4-5 times until finely chopped.
- Add the black beans, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, and egg to the food processor. Pulse 7-9 times until the mixture is chunky.
- Stir in 3/4 cup panko crumbs.
- Shape the bean mixture into 10 small patties.
- Dip each patty in panko crumbs.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium-high heat, for 30 seconds.
- When the oil is hot, add half the fritters and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Flip and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Transfer the fritters to a plate.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil, then cook the remaining fritters.
- Serve with cilantro sauce or salsa.
This blog post was originally published in May 2013. Updated December 2021.
Keywords: black bean fritters