This simple vegan vodka sauce is rich and creamy, making it the perfect sauce to toss with your favorite pasta! This plant-based recipe is delicious and satisfying.
- 8oz pasta
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka (optional, see note)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and reserve one cup of pasta water.
- Place the cashews in a heat safe bowl. Cover the cashews with boiling water and then cover the bowl with a plate. Let the cashews soak while you prepare the pasta.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and vodka. Simmer over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes have thickened and the vodka has evaporated.
- In a blender, add the soaked cashews, olive oil, nutritional yeast, pasta water, and blend until smooth. Add the tomatoes and continue to blend until smooth.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce and enjoy!
I’ve tested this both with and without the vodka. And while to make this a “real” vodka sauce, it would require vodka, I didn’t find it necessary. Keep in mind that not all of the vodka will evaporate during cooking. Read more here.