This makes 6 tacos which could easily serve 2 hungry people.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari or liquid aminos)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (you can leave this out if you can’t find it, but it adds a great smoky flavor)
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 taco shells (flour or corn)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup black beans
- Salsa, cabbage, cilantro, cheese, etc. (optional toppings)
- Combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, and liquid smoke in a shallow dish.
- Slice the tempeh into 1/2″ slices and spread in a single layer into the sauce and let it marinate for at least 20 minutes. If you can marinate it overnight or for a few hours, that’s even better.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the tempeh to the pan in a single layer.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until it begins to brown, then flip over and continue cooking.
- You want both sides to be a little bit charred.
- While the tempeh cooks, dice the avocado and heat up the black beans.
- Once the tempeh is done, assemble your tacos and add any toppings you like.
- Serve immediately.