This vegan soda bread is a simple quick bread that doesn’t require any yeast. It has a hearty texture, perfect for enjoying with stew or smeared with a pat of vegan butter!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/3 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (sweetened or unsweetened is fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- In a bowl or measuring cup combine the almond milk, orange juice, and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Stir to distribute everything evenly.
- Pour in the melted coconut oil. Stir and work with your hands until the coconut oil is in small clumps within the flour mixture.
- Pour in the curdled milk mixture. Stir until a shaggy mass forms.
- Add the cranberries, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips. Stir to evenly distribute.
- Flour your hands then divide the dough into two large balls. Dough will be sticky.
- Slice an X into each loaf and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and firm all around.
- Allow to cool for at least 40 minutes before cutting into the loaves.
Keywords: vegan soda bread