Get ready for a cozy, autumn-inspired dish with this vegan pumpkin chili! It’s packed with healthy veggies, hearty beans, and velvety pumpkin puree for a satisfying plant-based meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 14.5oz diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado, diced red onion, green onions, fresh cilantro
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced yellow onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper to the pot. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables become tender and the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and smoked paprika to the pot. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Add the diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, kidney beans, and black beans to the pot, stirring until the pumpkin is mixed into the broth.
- Bring the chili to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld together and the chili to thicken.
- Just before serving, stir in the lime juice to brighten the flavors. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the pumpkin chili hot with your choice of toppings.
Keywords: vegan pumpkin chili