This vegan macaroni and “cheese” is so creamy and delicious, no one will miss the dairy! You can make this with a few simple pantry staples, no vegan cheese or nutritional yeast required.
- 16 oz macaroni (regular or chickpea noodles)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cooking water, reserved
- ⅓ cup cashews (raw or roasted is fine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the potato, carrots, and onion to a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are fork tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the macaroni according to the package directions in a separate pot.
- Once the vegetables are soft, reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the rest of the water from the pot of vegetables.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the cooking water, cashews, salt, garlic, mustard, and oil.
- Add the vegetables and continue to blend. Since the veggies will be hot, be sure to let steam safely escape through the top of the blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Stir the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan macaroni and cheese