These vegan lentil sloppy joes are a healthy twist on a classic! They’re loaded with 16g of plant based protein and they can be made with simple pantry staples.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or gluten free tamari)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 whole wheat buns (or gluten free buns)
- Jalapeno or hot sauce for topping (optional)
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the paprika, chili, cumin, and salt and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the lentils and water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the lentils have softened. It’s ok if the lentils are still a tiny bit firm.
- In a small dish, whisk together the ketchup, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and tomato paste.
- Continue cooking over low heat and add the mixture to the lentils.
- Stir until it’s well coated and the lentils have completely cooked.
- Divide the lentils on to each bun and add jalapeno, hot sauce, or any other burger toppings you like!
Note: This recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated in a skillet or microwave just before serving.
Keywords: Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes