Looking for the ultimate vegan comfort food? This Shepherd’s Pie pie has a “meaty” filling with plenty of vegetables, topped with creamy potatoes for a meal that will satisfy vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!
- 1 package Morningstar Farms® Grillers Crumbles
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- ⅓ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- Salt to taste
For the filling:
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds until melted.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add MorningStar Farms® Grillers Crumbles and cook, for 4-5 minutes until heated through.
- Add flour and tomato paste and cook until paste begins to darken (about 1 minute).
- Add broth and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick but still saucy (7 to 10 minutes).
- Stir in peas, then remove from heat. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish
For the topping:
- Bring potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, return to saucepan and mash potatoes with vegan butter and almond milk until smooth. If you like smoother potatoes, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. If you like your potatoes chunky, mash with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread potatoes evenly over the filling.
- Bake until filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Turn on broiler and cook until top is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Vegan Shepherd's Pie