This vegan “cheesy” broccoli and rice casserole is the ultimate plant-based comfort food! The cheese sauce is unbelievably creamy but it’s made with vegetables!
- 2 cups brown rice, dry
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups cooking water, reserved
- ⅔ cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a wide, lidded saucepan, cook 2 cups of brown rice according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the broccoli to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Empty the pot, then add the onion, potatoes, and carrots and cover with 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the vegetables, 1 cup of cooking water, cashews, salt, garlic, dijon, black pepper, and nutritional yeast, to a blender.
- Be sure to allow steam to escape from the top of the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the broccoli and rice back into the skillet. Cover with cheese sauce and stir until combined.
Keywords: vegan cheesy broccoli and rice