These delicious chickpeas are simmered in a creamy, spicy sauce that is completely plant based! This recipe is easy to make using just a few basic pantry staples and seasonings!
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw or roasted is fine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, divided (see note for substitution)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 28oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave one cup of water for 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the cashews to the hot water and cover with a plate. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and spices and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chickpeas, cover and turn the heat to high. Once the mixture is bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover, simmering for 15-20 minutes until the chickpeas are tender.
- While the chickpeas are simmering, make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender. Add 1/2 cup of water and blend on high until completely smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegan butter (if using) and the cashew cream. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
If you do not have vegan butter, use one tablespoon of olive oil to cook the onion. Then skip adding the remaining butter in step 8. The cashew cream will still make this recipe rich and creamy!
Keywords: butter chickpeas, vegan butter chickpeas