This vegan berry crumble is made with oats and whole wheat flour for a healthier take on dessert. You can use fresh or frozen berries, so this recipe is tasty no matter the season!
- 1 ½ cups oats
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ⅓ cup blackberries or blueberries
- 3 tablespoons of blackberry preserves or jam
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, leaving a couple of inches of overhang on two sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, pastry flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in the coconut oil until well combined. The mixture should be crumbly but the coconut oil should be evenly distributed.
- Press 2 cups of the oat mixture into the bottom of the parchment lined pan. Save the rest of the oat mixture for the topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, fruit preserves and cornstarch.
- Remove the baked crust from the oven and spread the fruit mixture evenly on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for another 30-35 minutes until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Let cool completely before cutting, about 1 hour.
- Slice into 12 bars.
This recipe was adapted from Eating Well.
Feel free to use fresh or frozen berries in this recipe.
Keywords: vegan berry crumble