This Tempeh Taco Salad is loaded with plant-based protein and the cilantro lime dressing adds lots of bright, tangy, flavor. Switch up your salads with this easy twist on a classic.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ½ cup cashews (soaked for 4 hours- see note for quick soak method)
- ½ bundle of cilantro, stems trimmed (about 1/2 cup leaves, roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3–4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
Tempeh Taco “Meat”
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package of tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 cups chopped romaine
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
To make the dressing:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, cilantro, olive oil, water, lime juice, and garlic powder.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.
- You may need to add 2 additional tablespoons of water, to ensure a smooth consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
To make the tempeh taco meat:
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the crumbled tempeh and continue to cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until the tempeh is evenly coated with the paste.
- Add the cumin, garlic, onion, and soy sauce and continue to cook for 3 minutes until the tempeh is browned.
To make the salad:
- Combine the lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Top with tempeh “meat” and drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine.
No time to soak your cashews? Place the cashews in a large bowl. Cover with 2 cups of boiling water and cover the dish with a plate. Let sit for 30 minutes until cashews have softened. You’ll need a strong blender or food processor to achieve a smooth dressing with this shorter-soak method.
Keywords: tempeh taco salad