This delicious red lentil stew is made with spicy adobo sauce and hearty chickpeas for a tasty, vegan soup that is full of flavor and plant-based protein!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1–2 tablespoon adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- Cilantro, avocado, and/or tortilla chips for topping (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato paste and adobo sauce and stir until the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the lentils are softened.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until slightly chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the soup to a blender, allowing steam to escape through the event. Blend until slightly chunky.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the chickpeas. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until chickpeas are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and add toppings, if desired.
Keywords: red lentil stew