These skinny apple cinnamon muffins are the perfect fall snack! Made with whole wheat pastry flour, these muffins are light but still full of fiber.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk (skim or almond milk is fine)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small apple (I used Honeycrisp but fuji, gala, etc. would work)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, applesauce, milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Make sure the coconut oil is melted, then add it to the bowl.
- Stir in the coconut sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Dice the apple into tiny chunks. You don’t want the pieces to be too big or it’ll make the muffins a little soggy.
- Stir in the pieces.
- Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins.
- I made mine into 12 mini muffins but you could make larger muffins if you like, you’ll just need to bake them longer.
- For the mini muffins, bake for 14-18 minutes, or until they’re a little brown on the edges.
- Remove from the pan immediately.
- Do not overmix the batter, or the muffins will become tough and dry.
- Remove them from the pan right after you take them out of the oven, otherwise, they will steam in the pan and they can get soggy.
- Bake these on the center rack in the oven, so the muffins cook evenly. Every oven is different so you may need to adjust the baking time, slightly.
- Use a toothpick to determine doneness. Slide a toothpick into the center of one of the muffins. It should come out clean and the muffin should feel springy.
Keywords: Apple Cinnamon Muffin