This chunky red pepper and tomato soup has a deliciously smoky flavor. Made with fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika, this healthy soup has tons of flavor!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Pinch of granulated sugar (optional)
- Additional salt, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add the onion and pepper and cook for 8 minutes, sitrring frequently.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, stir, and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Add the lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and remaining broth and cook for 15-17 minutes until the peppers have softened.
- Add sugar, if needed, and salt to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until you reach your desired consistency. (See note for additional blending options.)
Blending soup is easiest with an immersion blender. This stick-style blender can be used directly in the pot. You can blend until you get your desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, let the soup cool slightly and carefully transfer to a blender. When blending, ensure that steam can escape from the lid. Do not attempt this with a bullet style blender!
Keywords: red pepper tomato soup