This pinto bean soup is deliciously thick and creamy! With just a few simple pantry staples, you can enjoy a bowl of this homemade soup in no time!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Toppings: diced jalapeño, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro or crushed tortilla chips.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and stir to coat. Continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cumin and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and pinto beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until you’ve reached your desired consistency. I like to leave it a little bit chunky. Alternatively, if you don’t have an immersion blender you can transfer 3 cups of soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful when transferring hot liquid and be sure to allow steam to escape from the blender.
- Add salt and lime juice, then divide into bowls.
- Top with jalapeño, tortilla chips, tomatoes, or other desired toppings.
Keywords: pinto bean soup