This delicious orzo rice pilaf is the perfect quick and easy side dish. Fluffy rice and tender orzo pasta come together for a tasty recipe that is simple to make!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional one minute until fragrant.
- Add the rice and orzo and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice begins to turn golden brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, thyme, and bay leaf and stir to combine.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the rice and orzo simmer for about 18-20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice and orzo are tender.
- Once the rice and orzo are cooked, remove the saucepan from the heat. Let it sit covered for about 5 minutes. This allows the steam to continue cooking the rice and orzo and makes them fluffy.
- Remove the bay leaf, fluff the pilaf with a fork to separate the grains, and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh parsley for garnish, if desired.
Keywords: Orzo Rice Pilaf