- 4 tablespoons hickory barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon oat bran
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped canned beets
- 1 teaspoon beet juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 egg white, add more if needed (to bind)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Stir together barbecue sauce and molasses. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash beans.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the barbecue mixture (reserving remaining for brushing) and remaining ingredients — rice through egg white.
- Form into four 6 oz patties.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium.
- Grill burgers for 2 minutes on one side.
- Turn and brush with remaining barbecue/molasses mixture. Top with Monterey Jack and grill for another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions and mustard on a bun which has been grilled in butter.