This rich and creamy tomato soup is a great source of protein! It’s easy to make, packed with vegetables, and great for a satisfying weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I used 4% milkfat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery, and sauté for 10-12 minutes, or until the onion turns translucent and the vegetables soften a bit.
- Stir in the minced garlic and tomato paste, continuing to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, whole tomatoes, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Allow the mixture to simmer for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly then carefully add it to a blender with the cottage cheese.
- Blend until completely smooth. (Be careful when blending hot soup. Allow steam to release through the vent in the cap. Cover with a kitchen towel to avoid splattering.)
- Transfer back to the pot and heat over low heat, until warm, if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: high protein tomato soup