This hearty vegan chili uses walnuts instead of meat for a filling, plant-based chili! It’s packed with tons of umami flavor so you won’t miss the meat!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup water
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the walnuts until finely chopped.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, tomatoes, and soy sauce to the food processor and pulse 5-10 times until chunky. It should look like a finely chopped salsa.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil and onion.
- Cook the onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cumin and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, black beans, and kidney beans and stir to combine.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If the chili gets too thick, add the water and continue to simmer.
Keywords: Vegan Chili