- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla till smooth.
- Add the eggs and beat till the mixture is well combined. It may be a little lumpy.
- Add the flour and oats, mixing to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips chips and almonds.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces, placing them on the baking sheet.
- Shape each piece into a rough log about 8″ long, and about 2″ apart.
- Wet your fingers and flatten them until they’re about 3/4″ thick and 1 1/4″ wide.
- Bake the logs for 23 to 25 minutes, until they’re beginning to brown around the bottom edges. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to cool on the pan for about 10 minutes.
- While the logs are cooling, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Slice the logs into 1/2″ to 3/4″ slices, using a sharp serrated knife.
- Place the biscotti back on the baking sheet, spacing them close together without touching.
- Bake the biscotti for 25 minutes, until their cut edges are a light golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool before serving.
- Note: Mine were a little done on the bottom, so I’d either make sure your oven rack isn’t too low, or user a lighter pan. (I was using a pretty dark one.) Since you’re baking them so long to get them crispy, you have to be careful about the bottoms!