This Farro Risotto is a healthier twist on traditional risotto! Made with farro instead of arborio rice, this risotto is hearty and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups pearled farro
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I like “not chicken style” broth)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the farro grains 4-5 times until slightly broken down.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the farro and stir until the grains are coated, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of broth and stir continuously until the farro absorbs the water, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the additional 3 cups of broth and cover. Continue to cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until all the broth has been absorbed and the farro has softened.
- If the farro begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water.
- Once the farro has softened, add the parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove from heat and divide into bowls.
- Top with pine nuts and serve!
Keywords: vegetarian farro risotto