These refried black beans can be made in just a few minutes by using canned beans! They’re a great vegan-friendly side dish for your next taco night.
- 2 15oz cans black beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Use a colander to drain the black beans over a bowl in order to reserve the liquid.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder and heat over medium heat for one minute.
- Add the black beans and cook over medium heat stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid and use the back of a fork to mash the beans gently. Continue to cook until beans are heated through.
- Add additional bean liquid until you reach the desired consistency.
- Stir in lime juice, season with salt, and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Keywords: refried black beans