This rich and creamy sauce is secretly healthy, thanks to the addition of cottage cheese! This high-protein sauce is perfect when you’re craving comfort food, but you want to enjoy something lighter!
- 8oz pasta (I used whole wheat penne pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vodka or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 4% milkfat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and reserve one cup of pasta water. (You will likely only need 1/2 cup but you may want a little extra to thin the sauce.)
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and vodka or lemon juice. Simmer over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until most of the juices have evaporated.
- In a blender, carefully add the cooked tomatoes, cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup pasta water, and blend until smooth. Be sure to allow steam to escape from the blender if the pasta water and tomatoes are hot. Add an additional splash of pasta water, if needed.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce. Season with salt, if needed.
Most cottage cheese is pretty salty so you probably won’t need additional salt. But since it depends on the brand of cottage cheese, add salt if needed.
Keywords: Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce