These chipotle black bean burgers are filled with poblano peppers and adobo sauce for a meatless burger that packs plenty of flavor!
For the Burger
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoon chipotle mayo (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I like “Just” mayo)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (if desired for extra spice)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a cast-iron skillet, over medium heat.
- Add the scallion, onion, pepper, and black beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor.
- Add the oats and 2 tablespoons of chipotle mayo to the bean mixture and pulse 4-5 times until the mixture is combined, but chunky. Do not overblend.
- Shape the mixture into 4 equal patties. Flatten so the burgers are approximately 1″ thick.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the cast iron skillet.
- Cook the burgers for 2 minutes on each side, or until the outside is crisp.
- Place each burger on a bun and top with chipotle mayo and any other desired burger toppings.
Keywords: chipotle black bean burger