This creamy vegan carrot potato soup is incredibly delicious and surprisingly simple to make. Enjoy this veggie packed soup for a healthy twist on a classic comfort food recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 12oz) peeled and cut into 1/2 chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 4 hours (see note for quick-soak method)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven or pot, add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery and cook over medium, heat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and potatoes and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the cashew cream.
- Blend 1/2 cup of soaked cashews with 1/2 cup of water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Once the vegetables in the soup have softened, add one cup of soup to the blender and continue to blend until smooth.
- Stir the cashew and soup mixture back into the pot.
To quick-soak the cashews, bring one cup of water to a boil (I do this in the microwave), then add the cashews. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain the cashews, then add them to the blender with 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
Keywords: carrot potato soup, creamy potato soup, vegan potato soup