- 8oz penne or other short pasta (I used whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped Calabrian peppers
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Basil for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserve one cup of pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and onions and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and Calabrian peppers, and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of pasta water and stir in the pasta. Add additional pasta water to thin, if needed.
- Garnish with fresh basil.