This hearty black bean soup is packed with vegetables and spices for a flavorful meal! It’s filled with plant-based protein so this vegan soup is super satisfying!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Sauté for 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the garlic, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, smoked paprika, oregano and cumin and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of black beans and set aside.
- Add the remaining black beans, bay leaf, and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch (if using) and water together. Add the reserved 1/2 cup of black beans. Blend the black bean and cornstarch mixture in a blender or food processor. Or use an immersion blender to combine.
- Add the blended beans back to the pot. (This will help thicken the broth.)
- Add salt to taste.
Keywords: black bean soup