This easy potato soup is vegetarian & gluten free! You only need 4 ingredients to make it and it’s budget-friendly, too! Try this for your next weeknight meal.
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a large pot of water with just enough water to cover the potatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes until soft. When poked with a fork, the potato should mostly fall apart.
- Remove from heat and drain most of the water, from the pot, leaving just a half-inch of water at the bottom of the pot. (This doesn’t have to be exact so don’t stress!)
- Add the milk garlic salt and pepper, then gently mash the potatoes with the back of a fork until the potatoes start to break down. I like my soup chunky, but if you like it smoother, you could use a potato masher or an immersion blender.
- Continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top each bowl with a little cheese, green onions, and additional salt and pepper to taste
We’ve tried this soup with skim milk, 2% milk, soy milk, and almond milk. Whole milk produced the creamiest result but there wasn’t a big difference between 2% and skim milk. Soy and almond milk are a bit thinner, but they can work in this recipe. Just be sure that you use an unsweetened milk substitute with no added sweetener or vanilla flavors. It will be a bit thinner.
The nutritional facts below are calculated using 2% milk.
Keywords: 4 ingredient potato soup