This easy potato soup is vegetarian & gluten free! You only need 5 ingredients to make it and it’s budget-friendly, too! Try this for your next weeknight meal.
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cups 2% milk (see note)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a large pot of water with just enough water to cover the potatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes until soft. When poked with a fork, the potato should mostly fall apart.
- Remove from heat and drain most of the water, from the pot, leaving just a half inch of water at the bottom of the pot. (This doesn’t have to be exact so don’t stress!)
- Add the milk garlic powder, salt, and pepper, then gently mash the potatoes with the back of a fork until the potatoes start to break down. I like my soup chunky, but if you like it smoother, you could use a potato masher or an immersion blender.
- Continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top each bowl with a little cheese, green onions, and additional salt and pepper to taste
We’ve tried this soup with skim milk, 2% milk, soy milk, and almond milk. 2% milk produced the creamiest result but there wasn’t a big difference with skim milk. Soy and almond milk are a bit thinner, but they’re both still delicious in this recipe! Just be sure that you use an unsweetened milk substitute with no added sweetener or vanilla flavors.
The nutritional facts below are calculated using 2% milk.
Keywords: potato soup