These chickpea gyros with homemade tzatziki sauce are ready in just 15 minutes! You only need a few fresh vegetables and a handful of pantry staples to get dinner on the table in minutes.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons 2% or full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ small cucumber
- 1 small Roma tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- In a large skillet over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are well coated with the olive oil.
- Immediately add the garlic powder, thyme, oregano, paprika. Continue to cook on medium-high heat for 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are golden brown.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, prepare your toppings.
- To make the tzatziki sauce, stir together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil.
- Grate one tablespoon of cucumber into the Greek yogurt mixture and stir to combine.
- Slice the remaining cucumber into thin rounds.
- Once the chickpeas are cooked, assemble each pita with the tzatziki sauce, topped with cucumber slices, tomato slices, and diced red onion.
- Add the warm chickpeas and serve immediately.
Keywords: chickpea gyros