This cheesy vegetarian tortilla soup is rich and creamy with tons of spicy flavor. This is a perfect side dish for tacos or enchiladas—and it only takes a few minutes to prepare!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 corn tortillas, diced
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (or less if you don’t like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoons oregano
- Salt to taste
- Tortilla chips and avocado for topping
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the vegetable broth and then add the broth mixture to the pot.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the cheddar cheese, tortillas, tomatoes, cumin, cayenne, and oregano.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top with additional tortilla chips and chopped avocado.
Keywords: cheesy tortilla soup