Make a batch of fluffy naan bread to serve with your favorite main dish! This vegan recipe doesn’t require any yogurt, so you can make delicious naan with just a few pantry staples!
- 1 cup almond milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (7g)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- Warm ½ cup of almond milk in the microwave or on the stove until heated to about 110 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm almond milk, sugar and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and remaining ½ cup of almond milk and let sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar mixture and olive oil to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add a second cup of flour and the salt.
- Knead for 6-7 minutes, adding the final ¼ cup of flour, if needed.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces.
- Sprinkle each piece with flour and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into flat pieces. (Add as much flour as needed to prevent sticking.)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil over medium heat.
- Place the naan in the pan, cooking one 2 pieces at a time, for 2 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook until browned on the outside.
- Add additional butter or oil to the pan as needed.
Keywords: vegan naan