If you love peanut butter and chocolate, you’ll love buckeye candy! These buckeyes are vegan and gluten free so everyone can enjoy them!
- 1 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance or Smart Balance)
- 1 1/2 cups creamy salted peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar (see note)
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- Soften the vegan butter by microwaving on 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. You don’t want to melt it, just soften it.
- Once the butter is soft, whip it with the peanut butter and vanilla. You can use a mixer or simply mix with a spoon.
- Once the peanut butter and powdered sugar are combined, slowly stir in your powdered sugar.
- Scoop the peanut butter mixture into rounded tablespoons and roll into little balls. Stick a toothpick in each of the balls
- Freeze the balls for at least 30 minutes
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring frequently so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Take the peanut butter balls out of the fridge and dip into the chocolate, leaving a little bit exposed, so it looks like a Buckeye!
- Put the Buckeyes back in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened. Store in the fridge.
You can use additional powdered sugar if you like your buckeyes sweeter. 4 cups is the minimum amount you’ll need in order to form solid balls. The amount of sugar may also depend on the type of peanut butter you’re using, the consistency, and if your peanut butter contains sweetner. You can use anywhere between 4-6 cups of powdered sugar.
You can use any sort of margarine but I prefer Earth Balance.
Make sure to use dairy free chocolate chips. The Enjoy Life brand are great!
You can easily half this recipe to make a smaller batch.
Keywords: vegan buckeyes