Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a super simple meal-prep option, vegetable barley soup is a one-pot dish that’s packed with healthy veggies and grains! Enjoy leftovers throughout the week or freeze for up to a month.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 24 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 lb yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1” pieces
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 large kale leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the barley, diced tomatoes, potatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, and oregano and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes until barley is tender and potatoes are softened.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale leaves and stir until softened.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Keywords: vegan barley soup