This hearty tomato and rice soup is an easy and budget-friendly dinner idea! With just a few pantry staples, this recipe comes together quickly.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add in the diced onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the tomato paste and oregano and stir until the onion is coated, continuing to cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- If you’d like a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can transfer it to a blender. Just be careful blending hot soup! Be sure to leave room for the steam to escape. You can also leave it chunky if you prefer.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and add the brown rice. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.
Be careful when blending hot soups. If you have time, it’s safer to let the soup cool slightly before blending. This will help you avoid any hot and painful splatters!
Keywords: Tomato and Rice Soup