This hearty tomato and rice soup is an easy and budget-friendly dinner idea! With just a few pantry staples, this recipe comes together quickly.
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- 2oz cream cheese (optional)
- Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add in the diced onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the tomato paste and oregano and stir until the onion is coated, continuing to cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and add the brown rice. Cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- If using the cream cheese, stir the cream cheese into the soup at the end of cooking.
Keywords: Tomato and Rice Soup