This sweet potato grilled cheese sandwich takes a basic sandwich to the next level! With creamy Gruyère cheese, slices of sweet potato, and a creamy aoili, this grilled cheese is an elevated classic!
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced into 1/4” slices
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 4 large kale leaves, washed, destemmed, and massaged (see note)
- To cook the sweet potato, add the sweet potato slices to a shallow bowl, with 1″ of water at the bottom. Microwave for 5-6 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft. (See notes for oven or stovetop method.)
- To make the aoili: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic powder, lemon juice, and salt.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread a thin layer of aoili onto the other side of two slices of bread.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, place two slices of bread, butter side down, on the skillet.
- Top with shredded cheese, sweet potato slices, and kale.
- Top with the second slice of bread, aoili side facing down.
- Cook for 5 minutes then flip and continue to cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
There are three ways to cook the sweet potato slices before making this sandwich.
- Microwave Method – Add the sweet potato slices to a shallow bowl, with 1″ of water at the bottom. Microwave for 5-6 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Stovetop Method – Place the sweet potato slices in a single layer in a large skillet. Add 1″ of water then cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until softened. Add more water, if needed.
- Oven Method – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sweet potato in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes then flip and continue to bake for 5 minutes or until softened.
Before adding the kale to this sandwich, it’s important to massage it. Once the kale has been washed, remove the tough stem. Tear the large leaves into quarters, then use your hands so squeeze the kale leaves. They’ll soften and turn darker in color. This results in a better texture and makes it easier to chew and digest!
Keywords: sweet potato grilled cheese