These steamed collard greens are tossed with sweet raisins, spicy red pepper flakes, and salty almonds for a deliciously simple side dish. Try these tasty collard greens as a side for your next meal!
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- Use a sharp knife to carefully remove the stems. Discard the stems.
- Then, chop the collard green leaves into 1-2″ pieces.
- Add the collard greens to a strainer and rinse well to ensure all dirt is removed from the leaves.
- Shake dry, but do not dry completely. The remaining water on the leaves will help steam them.
- Add the collard greens to a dutch oven. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, adding a splash of water during the cooking process, if need
- Cook until the leaves are tender. Remove the leaves from the pot.
- In the now empty pot, add the olive oil, raisins, garlic, and red pepper flakes
- Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add the collard greens back to the pot and stir for 1 minute until warmed and evenly coated
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped almonds, and season generously with salt.
This recipe was adapted from Cooks Country.
Keywords: steamed collard greens