This delicious kale salad gets its heat from crushed red pepper flakes. Combined with salty cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice, this salad is simple to make but loaded with flavor.
- 5 cups chopped kale (curly kale or dinosaur kale) or about 8 large leaves
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Crushed red pepper to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or almonds (optional)
- Wash the kale leaves and de-stem the leaves by removing the ribs. (This is the bitter tough part in the center.)
- Shred the kale using a sharp knife into thin strips. Dinosaur kale is a little easier to make into strips but if you’re using curly kale, just roughly chop it.
- In a small dish, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil until combined.
- Massage the kale leaves with the oil and lemon mixture until the kale begins to soften.
- Top with cheese, pine nuts, and red pepper just before serving.
Keywords: spicy kale salad