- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 oz smoked gouda
- 1–2 medium tomatoes
- If your bread is frozen, set it aside to begin to unthaw.
- In a large frying pan, saute the onions in the olive oil.
- Cook over low to medium heat until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Set the onions aside.
- In that same pan, lay two pieces of bread in the leftover olive oil.
- Top each slice with 2oz of shredded cheese.
- I sliced mine, but I think it would melt a little better if it was shredded.
- Allow the cheese to begin melting, then top with the onion, tomato, and final slice of bread.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, until toasted and the cheese is melted.