Creamy smoked gouda, caramelized onions, and juicy tomato make a delicious grilled cheese that can be made in just a few minutes! If you want to take your sandwich to the next level, this gouda grilled cheese is the answer!
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 oz smoked gouda
- 1–2 medium tomatoes
- In a large frying pan, saute the onions in the olive oil.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 12-15 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Set the onions aside.
- In that same pan, lay two pieces of bread in the leftover olive oil.
- Top each slice with 2oz of shredded cheese.
- Allow the cheese to begin melting, then top with the onion, tomato, and final slice of bread.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, until toasted and the cheese is melted.
Keywords: gouda grilled cheese