These simple spices lentils are an easy and delicious main dish, made with a handful of pantry staples!
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika or paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Place lentils in a medium-sized pot, with 2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are just tender.
- Drain any excess water from the lentils.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet, over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce, remaining vegetable broth, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, and cooked lentils.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro when ready to serve.
This recipe serves two people as a main dish. Feel free to double the recipe for a larger group.
Keywords: simple spiced lentils