- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or paprika
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Place lentils in a medium-sized pot, with 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are just tender.
- Note: Make sure your lentils are tender! Ours were still firm so I added more broth and cooked longer!
- Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet, over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce, remaining vegetable broth, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, and cooked lentils.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro when ready to serve.