This one bowl vegan banana bread is an easy way to transform brown bananas into a delicious breakfast or snack! With plenty of substitution ideas, you can make this with the ingredients you have in your pantry!
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup almond milk or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons chia mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar plus 1 teaspoon for topping
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips
- Combine the chia seeds and water, then let sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas, then stir in the milk, chia seed mixture, coconut oil, vanilla, brown sugar, and vinegar until completely combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and walnuts or chocolate chips and stir until just mixed. Do not overmix. A few streaks of flour should still remain.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and use the back of a spoon to make a small trench in the middle of the loaf pan. You want the batter to be just slightly higher on the sides, so the loaf will rise evenly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tip: Use the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula to make a small trench in the center of the loaf. This means that the loaf will rise more evenly and it helps the center of the bread bake before the outside gets burned.
Keywords: oil free banana bread