This vegan Moroccan chickpea soup is an easy and delicious soup packed with chickpeas, potatoes, and plenty of spices. It’s a great soup to reheat throughout the week for easy lunches!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 1/2 lb red potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed saffron threads
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 (15oz) cans of chickpeas
- 1 (14oz) can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Dice the onion and add to the pot with the oil.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften.
- While that cooks, dice the red potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces. (You don’t need to peel them.)
- Add in the salt, garlic, paprika, saffron, and ginger.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, chickpeas, potatoes, and vegetable broth and simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve immediately or let the flavors meld together for a while and then reheat and eat when you’re ready!
This recipe is adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Vegetarian Cookbook
Keywords: Moroccan Chickpea Soup