This vegan Moroccan chickpea soup is an easy and delicious soup packed with chickpeas, potatoes, and plenty of spices. It’s a great soup to reheat throughout the week for easy lunches!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/2 lb red potatoes, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (15oz) cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14oz) can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the salt, garlic, paprika, saffron, and ginger and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, potatoes, and vegetable broth and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
This recipe is adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Vegetarian Cookbook
Keywords: Moroccan Chickpea Soup