Black beans are one of my favorite ingredients because they’re loaded with plant-based protein and fiber! Combined with brown rice, this easy recipe makes a delicious main dish without much work!
Adapted from Health magazine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, diced (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white cooking wine (or substitute additional broth)
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Set your pressure cooker to saute and add the oil, bell pepper, garlic, and the red onion, reserving 2 tablespoons of the red onion for garnish.
- Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and red wine vinegar and continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, cooking wine, black beans, and rice.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, combine the chopped tomato, lime juice, avocado, and diced onion in a bowl.
- Release the pressure naturally for about 10 minutes, then uncover the pot.
- If the beans are still slightly firm, put the lid back on for 5-10 more minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top with avocado mixture.
This recipe will thicken as it cools. It may look a little watery at first, but as the recipe and beans continue to soften, it will lose more moisture.
Keywords: Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice