This healthy macaroni salad recipe is packed with fresh veggies, chickpea pasta, and a high-protein dressing that makes this side dish super creamy! This satisfying dish is low in calories and high in flavor, perfect for your next cookout!
- 8oz chickpea pasta or whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (low-fat is fine)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ribs of celery, minced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste (adjust based on the saltiness of your cottage cheese)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- If using chickpea pasta, cook the pasta according to the package directions. If using regular pasta or whole wheat pasta, cook the pasta up to one minute past al dente.
- Blend the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper, using an immersion blender until the mixture is completely smooth with no lumps. (See note for blending tips.)
- Combine the cooked pasta, celery, carrots, and dressing. Stir until combined.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Make sure you blend the cottage cheese really well. I used an immersion blender because that is the easiest way to blend a small amount. Sometimes it’s hard to blend a small amount in a blender. It took about a minute of blending for it to be smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, I’d recommend blending a whole cup of cottage cheese, then dividing it in half. You can use one half in the dressing and save the other half for smoothies.
Keywords: healthy macaroni salad