These grilled halloumi sandwiches are a deliciously simple dinner recipe! The salty, crispy cheese and hearty ciabatta roll make a simple sandwich irresistible! Top it with a slice of tomato and a little balsamic glaze for a grown-up grilled cheese!
- 4 ciabatta or whole wheat buns
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8oz package of halloumi, thinly sliced into 8 pieces.
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze or pesto (optional)
- Brush the inside of the buns with a bit of olive oil. I actually used a spray olive oil to lightly coat the buns.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Place the buns cut side down on the pan while it heats up for 2-3 minutes. The buns should be just slightly toasted.
- Place the halloumi slices in the pan in a single layer. (If your pan is small, you can do this in batches.)
- Cook the halloumi for 2 minutes or until lightly browned then flip and continue to cook for 2 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Top each sandwich with a slice of tomato and two pieces of halloumi.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze or pesto, if desired. Alex liked his plain, I liked mine with balsamic.
I’ve tried grilling halloumi on a cast iron grill pan, a cast iron skillet, and a non-stick skillet and I got the best results with the non-stick skillet. A cast iron pan can work but the halloumi is more likely to stick and it can melt if it’s heated for too long. I’d recommend a non-stick pan, if possible.
Keywords: Grilled Halloumi Sandwich