Chewy farro and tender asparagus make this a hearty vegetarian salad with plenty of protein!
- 3/4 cup farro (uncooked)
- 1/2 lb of asparagus
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 oz pecorino romano cheese, grated.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add the farro. Cook according to the package until tender. (I used the quick cooking farro from Trader Joe’s so mine was ready in about 10 minutes.)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the asparagus, cover, and cook for 5 minutes until bright green.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook the asparagus until it begins to brown, turning them so they’re evenly cooked.
- While those cook, zest the lemon and then squeeze the lemon juice into a dish. Whisk together with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- When the farro is done cooking, drain the excess water and rinse the farro in a colander.
- When the asparagus is done, transfer to a cutting board and chop into 1″ pieces.
- Toss the farro, chopped asparagus, and lemon dressing in a large dish.
- Top with almond and grated cheese, then serve!
Keywords: Farro Salad