1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup shredded carrots
2 small russet potatoes (about 4 cups chopped)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable broth (I used “Not chicken” broth)
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup peas (frozen is fine)
1 tbsp dried parsley
Salt to taste (I added about 1 tsp but it depends on how salty your broth is)
1 frozen sheet of puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400
- If you’re using frozen puff pastry, remove from the freezer to let it begin to thaw.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat until it begins to foam.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the potatoes, season with salt (I added about 1/2 tsp at this point) and continue to cook for about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables to coat and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and broth and continue stirring until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until it’s started to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the peas, parsley, and additional salt. (I added another 1/2 tsp here but you might have to taste to see.)
- Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and cover with puff pastry.
- Slice a few slits in the pastry to help it vent.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.