This easy oil-free hummus recipe is delicious with crunchy veggies, toasted pita, or falafel. It’s so smooth and creamy, you’d never guess there is no added oil!
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon za’atar seasoning, plus more for garnish
How to overcook chickpeas on the stove
To cook the chickpeas, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. Add them to a pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes until soft. Drain the chickpeas and then add to the hummus.
How to warm chickpeas (shortcut method)
If you don’t have time to cook them on the stove, drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, then continue making the recipe.
- Add the cooked chickpeas to a blender or food processor.
- Add the water, lemon juice, tahini, and garlic and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender or food processor every 30 seconds.
- Add salt and za’atar seasoning then blend until mixed.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with additional za’atar seasoning.
Keywords: oil free hummus