This easy homemade enchilada sauce is deliciously simple! You only need a few basic pantry staples and spices to make a spicy sauce from scratch!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- In a small saucepan, stir together the olive oil, flour, and chili powder and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
- Let it simmer for 1 minute until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste, as it will depending slightly on the vegetable broth.
Keywords: homemade enchilada sauce