These easy curried lentils are packed with spices for a delicious flavor! This recipe is a budget friendly dinner that is also vegan and gluten-free! Try this for your next meatless meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small, yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, washed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the diced onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, curry powder, cumin, and turmeric and cook for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and lentils and cook for another minute.
- Add the bay leaf and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 30-35 minutes, until the lentils become soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with salt to taste.
This post was originally published in June 2016. Updated November 2023.
Keywords: curried lentils