Adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Curried Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small, white onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or 2 fresh cloves)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup green lentils, washed and picked over
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the diced onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and curry powder and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaf and cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils and salt and cook for 8 more minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add all the vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 30-35 minutes, until the lentils become soft.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, blend part of the soup so the broth thickens, but leave the soup chunky. If you don’ thave an immersion blender, take 3 cups of soup out and blend it, then add it back in.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.